Sunday, September 28, 2008

Scrapbook Retreat Business

Life has been such a whirlwind of business around here these days. I, myself have been busy planning 3 different events, all happening in the next 3-5 months. The 1st is a 25th Wedding Anniversary for Feb '09, the 2nd is our Halloween party on the 25th and the 3rd is my Scrapbook Retreat in November which I am hosting. I'm very excited to be planning NorCal Scrapbook Retreats and hope to make them so much better each time. The first one however is a 16 hour crop at a local hotel. I have been busy getting a bank account set up, trying to get a website set up (eventually), getting Scrapbookers (like myself) set up as attendees, getting vendors and projects coordinated. I bought QuickBooks a few days ago so that I can keep track and be able to send invoices and receipts, those sorts of things. I know a little bit about QB. I dabbled in it a bit at my old job. I like using it and it will keep me better balanced on the financial side of the business. I’m learning how to design reports, invoices, and receipts and trying to use some of the other features it has to offer. I’ve always been a “hands-on” kind of person when it comes to learning new programs. I got really good at Access & Power Point on my own so I figured learning more about QB’s would give me a challenge. So far so good! My new venture program next on my list is MS Office Publisher. That way I can learn how to design my own website. I do however want to take some classes and learn web design. I think it would be a great tool for me to know how to make changes to my website as opposed to just giving someone else the job. Besides, having another skill under my belt wouldn’t hurt…right???

Today my MIL and I went shopping. I had so much fun going to the stores and picking up gifts/prizes being given out at the retreat. Wish I could tell you about the prizes but that would ruin the surprise for some of the ladies who read my blog who are attending the retreat. LOL

I’ve had weekend scrapbook retreats at the house before but not of this magnitude and not as an actual 'business'. The ones I’ve had in the past have been put on by me and DH, well DH would set up tables, pick up food, keep us stocked with snacks and such. We would provide meals and give out goodies, games, prizes, that sort of thing. This one is more detailed but my heart and soul is being poured into it. All the wonderful ladies and DH who are supporting me in my new venture, I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. =)

The idea of doing scrapbook retreats came about when I, my friends Maria & Holly went to a scrapbook retreat in Reno a few months back. It was our first one so we didn’t completely know what to expect but thought it would be a little more worth the $. It wasn't a terrible experience but let's just say there were lots of things that could have been better planned and executed. However we did get a lot of scrapbooking done!!! On the way home we talked about how if we did scrapbook retreats, we could put one on and have this and that and do this and do that. We had so many ideas; they were just flowing like water. It was so great. Our adrenaline was pumping and we were psyched up!!! I wrote down ideas we had in my notebook while Holly drove and Maria sat back putting in her ideas as well. Maria didn’t want to be in the drivers seat but I think Maria’s words were something like “Well you two plan it and I’ll be there to scrap”….or something to that effect. Ha-ha. She is a graphic designer by trade so I was able to recruit her to design the logo for the business. The business is called…well I won’t tell you, I’ll just show you. Here’s the beautiful logo she designed for me. Isn’t it cute??? She did a great job. Thanks Maria.



Holly is doing some cute card make-n-takes for each of the scrapbookers. She does beautiful work on cards; they always turn out so cute. I’m looking forward to seeing what she has come up with for the cards. Thanks Holly.

So here I am 4 months later putting all our ideas and plans together for the 1st of many hopefully. I’m very excited and nervous at the same time. My BIGGEST fear is someone coming in and having high expectations and me not being able to deliver. But I know in my heart of hearts, that I can deliver a great event and have them wanting to come back again. I know, I know, I worry too much! It’s in my nature to worry. I’m a worry wart. =(

I have had some great feedback from ladies who are interested in this one. And I’m looking forward to meeting new friends along the way. Jake has been supportive throughout this new venture and so great. I appreciate his patience and support. Love you honey.

And in the last few days, I’ve begun the stages to plan a weekend Scrapbook retreat sometime in March ’09 in Napa. I found a really beautiful hotel/spa and will be making plans to go and check it out in the next few weekends to get the ball rolling. I’m hoping to get a website soon so that I can advertise that way as well. MORE details to come soon on this retreat. Keep an eye out for those scrapbookers out there!

We had our friends the Curtis’ over for dinner last night. After dinner we taught them how to play Bohnanza Game…a.k.a. the BEAN GAME! At first I didn’t think they were going to like it. I had a hard time understanding when the Pascoals first taught us how to play. It’s a very hard game to learn at first but once you get the hang of it, its soo much fun. There was a whole lot of laughing, trading, negotiating, and even a few…3 HUGE favors to be exact going on. ;o) I think it took us about 3 hours just to get through 1 game. We had a great time. Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the game. Next time I talk to you, you’ll be telling us you bought the game online…just like I did when I learned to play it. Ha-ha. Although I went overboard and bought all 3 sets, the original, the extension and then the extension to the extension. LOL! By far out of all the games the Pascoals have taught us how to play, this one has to be our favorite. Have a great week everyone. See you next blog.

No comments: